julieheartsbooks

Stacey Jay
The Casual Vacancy
J.K. Rowling

Jessica Rules the Dark Side

Jessica Rules the Dark Side - Beth Fantaskey Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side is one of my favorite books, so when I heard about this book I was super excited! However, it didn't live up to my epxectations.What I was expecting from this book and what happened were really different. I was expecting Jessica to have grown and matured and be confident in what she was doing. Instead, I just wanted to hurt her throughout most of the book. She second guessed everything and pretty much let others control her and didn't seem to catch on to things that were so obvious.The book was also told from four different perspectives. And anyone who's read Beth's work knows that she has short chapters. I have no problem with different perspectives OR short chapters, but combined (and with that many points of view) it gets kind of confusing. There were three or four story lines going on, yet I still felt like little was really happening.There was also a decided lack of romance. Lucius is absent for most of the book so he's not with Jessica and while I wanted Jessica to be independent, I also wanted to see her and Lucius being a cute, married couple. That didn't happen so much and it was kind of disappointing. Beth's writing is as good as ever. Despite that many points of view, I was still able to be engaged and sit and read for a while without getting bored. Honestly, this isn't a bad book at all. I'm sure some people will love this as much as they loved the first. But it wasn't what I was expecting it to be and that disappointment kind of overrode anything else. I do think that you should try it if you loved the first one, however. It's still entertaining and I would still read a third book if Beth writes one.