julieheartsbooks

Stacey Jay
The Casual Vacancy
J.K. Rowling

The Girl Who Could Silence the Wind

The Girl Who Could Silence the Wind - Meg Medina This was definitely a different read.Based on the summary, I assumed it was more of a fantasy read so imagine my surprise when I realized it was more of a historical fiction read. It's in a different setting from what I'm used to, so it was a learning experience. It was out of the box and I think the fact that it was so different made it more intriguing for me.Sonia was a really great character. She was strong and she had a big heart and she loved her family. And she learned how strong she was as the book went on and she just learned a lot about herself. Her family relationships and her relationship with a certain boy were SO well done.The writing was pretty gorgeous. It was descriptive when needed and engaging. It's a short book because that's all there needed to be to get the point across. Meg Medina has a really good balance of description and dialogue and including what needs to be included.This wasn't really my type of book, but I enjoyed it. It was different and entertaining and enjoyable. Kind of heavy, but quick. I liked it more than I thought I would, despite the confusion and differences from what I normally read. It's not like any YA book I've ever heard of. Definitely one for you to try out!