julieheartsbooks

Stacey Jay
The Casual Vacancy
J.K. Rowling

Dark Parties

Dark Parties - Sara Grant This book was...interesting.It was fast paced and well written and interesting. A little bit of a unique touch to it. But I had some problems.From a moral stand point, there's a major problem for me. I don't know why it bothered me in this book so much, because I've read it before. Neva ends up kissing her best friend's boyfriend accidentally. I was okay with that, it was genuinely an accident. But then it becomes this "Do I/Don't I" thing and just...no. She was into him and he was into her. This isn't cool with me. First of all, I have MAJOR problems with cheating of any kind. You're into someone else, you break up with who you're with. This book did have a reason, but STILL. It's not cool. Then there's the fact that this is her BEST FRIEND. Guys...you don't do that to any girl, but especially your best friend. That's just three times worse than doing it to some girl you don't even know. Because this is someone who trusts you and loves you and thinks of you as a sister. You may not physically cheat on anyone, but emotionally counts just as much to me.So, um...that kind of bothered me. A little.But beyond that, something didn't click with me. Maybe because it was so fast paced it almost seemed rushed. Maybe because it was predictable at times. Maybe because I frequently wanted to smack Neva.It's weird, I genuinely enjoyed reading this. It was exciting and lots happened and it mixed a lot of different aspects of dystopian novels. While reading it, I REALLY enjoyed it. But reflecting...I'm not as excited about it. Not as happy. I kind of wish my friend did take it with her because I'm not sure I want it on my shelf.Besides my own peeve, there was nothing genuinely wrong with the book that comes to mind. It was just...average. This review sucks. I apologize. But that's all I can give you.