julieheartsbooks

Stacey Jay
The Casual Vacancy
J.K. Rowling

The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races - Maggie Stiefvater It's no secret that the werewolves and I do not really agree. But in the first two Shiver books, I still really enjoyed Maggie's writing. So I heard about this book and was intrigued by the idea. I figured with the idea and her writing, I would love this.But not so much.I can't really pinpoint what it was. The characters were all complex and they had a lot of different factors to consider and they were all individuals, except the characters that weren't supposed to be individuals. Puck and Sean were just so adorable and kind of Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy-esque. I appreciated that.The writing was Maggie-fabulous. Pretty and flowy and wonderful. It's what you expect from Maggie. And the story IS different and entertaining and interesting.But the book was so slow.It takes place over a little more than a month. So you'd think it'd go pretty fast, but I just couldn't make myself sit and read it for long periods of time. I found myself daydreaming about the other books on my TBR pile for the month. Maybe it was me, maybe it was the story itself. The pace and I just didn't connect properly.Others may love this. Between timing (I seem to be in the mood for faster paced reads lately), a busy schedule, and the pace over all, it just wasn't right for me right now. But I definitely think it's something to try if you're in the right mood.